40% of final mark, Formative task, Two-part assignment
Part 2) Media case study, 1200 – 1400 words
- To investigate and analyse ONE (1) Southernizing or de-Westernization strategy and be able to explain how it stimulates global perspectives in comparative media research.
- To show evidence of critical research capacity by writing a 1400-word report that evaluates ONE (1) of the four listed strategies using an appropriate media case study:
- adopt ‘smash and grab’ epistemology (Chasi & Rodny-Gumede, 2016, pp. 696-698).
- analyze neglected theoretical issues (Waisbord, 2015, pp. 187-188).
- compare media in two non-Western countries (Waisbord, 2015, pp. 188-192).
- analyze global media phenomena (Waisbord, 2015, pp. 192-193).
Marking arrangements for two-part assignment
- You will receive one (1) mark for Assignment 2.
- There will be one marking round for Assignment 2, after both Parts 1 & 2 are submitted.
- Be aware that Part 1 is a hurdle requirement. This means it is compulsory.
- You will receive a pass/fail notification for Part 1 within 10 days of submission.
- A pass notification needs no further action.
- A fail notification means more work is needed to write a satisfactory answer.
- Dr Penny O’Donnell will follow up all fail notifications to support further writing.
- Be aware that Part 2 requires application of the media theory/critical thinking developed in Part 1.
- For marking purposes, the two parts will be read together.
- There must be clear, cogent, coherent and consistent integration of your argument across Part 1 and Part 2.
Learning outcomes assessed:
- LO1. Be familiar with frameworks for researching the media comparatively across countries and cultures, and be able to explain their similarities and differences.
- LO2. Engage with critical perspectives on media history and geography, actors, institutions, and cultures, and be able to correctly define key concepts.
- LO3. Investigate and analyse strategies for southernizing comparative media research, and apply this knowledge in appropriate case studies in assignments.
- LO4. Investigate and analyse diversity in media practices from the global north and south, and use appropriate examples of diverse media practices as evidence of your arguments in assignments.
- LO6. Present information clearly and succinctly in written, oral, and visual forms.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."