1 (A)Discussion: Practice Theory
Theory is a basis for assessments and interventions with clients and is used to guide intervention in social work practice. Practice theory is the body of knowledge that has been empirically tested and shown to be effective. Mastery of multiple practice theories, such as the systems theory, provides the social worker with a set of theorizing skills and aptitudes for dealing with a range of complex issues.
Systems theory is useful for developing a holistic view of persons-in-environment. It views the individual as one of many interrelated parts or subsystems (e.g., family, friends, church, school, work, and neighborhood). Each subsystem impacts all other parts and the whole system.
In this Discussion, you examine practice theory, via the systems theory approach, and how to apply it in social work practice.
By Day 3
- Briefly describe the systems theory approach.
- Illustrate how this model is implemented in social work.
- Explain why this approach might be beneficial to clients.
- Suggest two positive/supporting features of the systems theory that are different from the one you illustrated.
1 (B)Discussion: Code of Ethics
The NASW Code of Ethics is founded upon six core values from which the ethical standards are framed. The standards guide social workers in determining how best to uphold each core value. A case manager, for example, may demonstrate the value of dignity and worth of the person by treating all clients with the same respect while also considering the clients culture and adjusting interactions as appropriate. This approach is further supported by the ethical standard outlined in Section 1.05, Cultural Competence and Social Diversity. This standard encourages social workers to engage in ongoing education to competently work with different cultures. For instance, a caseworker would need to seek out additional trainings if working with individuals whose culture is less familiar.
For this Discussion, you and your colleagues consider how social work values are demonstrated in social work practice. Consider different scenarios you may experience during your career and how ethical standards may influence your response.
By Day 3
Post a response to the following:
- Choose one of the six core values in the NASW Code of Ethics (service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, competence).
- Create and describe a specific scenario that demonstrates how a social worker would uphold that value when working with a client.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."