I’m working on a humanities project and need a sample draft to help me study.
- A spoken word event — poetry or literature reading
- A play or musical or opera
- A film festival (w/ Q&A or discussion session only)
- An experience from the CR 1 list from a different are of humanities (CR1 and CR2 must deal with experiences in DIFFERENT areas of the humanities)
Restrictions: The experience should be done in person during the current semester. If this is a challenge, contact the instructor to arrange for an extension. You may not report on a cultural experience from prior to this class.
Write a report after your attendance at the event or visit to a site.
Your report should include the following information. Include photos or links that help convey the information. As always, be sure to document all sources you consult in preparing your work. This includes brochures from the site or websites that informed you about the particular venue you visited.
- Name and location of the museum, site, or performance event. and date of attendance. If there is on-line information about the site or performance, be sure to include a link to it within the text of your essay in an appropriate place.
- Type of museum, site or event. For example is it a portrait or sculpture museum, a music concert, or dance performance? If you attended a performance, name the performer or the piece. Be specific about what you attended, when, and where.
- Name and/or general description of the person you spoke with at the venue, and their answer to this specific question, How did you become involved with this place/event/organization etc.?
- Briefly describe the general setting by talking a bit about the location, the number of people there, the general overall atmosphere of the place.
- Describe several pieces or aspects of the experience in detail.
- Describe at least one aspect of the experience that you found especially interesting. For example, you might write about a particular work of art, cultural artifact, song, dance section, costumes or lighting, a particular vocalist, etc. Explain what impressed or affected you, and why. Your reaction can be positive or negative, as long as you offer an explanation.
- Identify and use several tools/concepts that you have learned about in this class and apply them to specific aspects of your experience/visit. For example, if you visit a museum, you might point out how color works in one of the paintings, or if you go to a concert, how rhythm works in one of the songs. Apply them specifically and with depth to the piece to demonstrate your knowledge of the tool and help the reader better understand the piece. Then, make sure to tell the reader how you interpret some elements of your visit with the tools.
- Reflect on the relevance--if any–of your experience to your everyday life. How did the experience engage your feelings or emotions, if at all? What does this tell you about human culture, and/or about yourself?
- Due to the increasing precautions advised to slow the spread of COVID 19, I wanted to give you some alternative options for the Cultural Reports
- Here are some options
- Toni Morrison on The Bluest Eye and Paradise
- Inside the Imagination with China Miéville
- William Gibson: Technology, Science Fiction & the Apolcalypse
- A conversation with Ursula K. Le Guin
- George R.R. Martin On Strombo: Extended Interview
- Salman Rushdie on Storytelling
- Alice Walker
- Joy Harjo
- Leslie Marmon Silko
- Rita Dove
- Naomi Shihab Nye
- Arthur Sze
- Heather McHugh
- Juan Felipe Herrera
- An Evening with Robert Pinsky
Poetry Festivals, Slams and Spoken Word
- The BreakBeat Poets
- The Last Word Festival- Poetry Slam Final 2018
- The Last Word Festival Poetry Slam Final 2017
- Louder than a Bomb (Millennial Stage)
- Henry Rollins Up for It spoken word performance (includes some obscenities)
- Kate Tempest spoken word performance on KEXP
THEATRE livestreamed — look for updates in Announcements as many livestreamed theatre events are limited
Time Out NY has excellent links to livestreaming theatre events. They are updated weekly. The general page for theatre is: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater Anything accessed through TimeOut NY is acceptable (note that some performances are dance or may be more spoken word).Hamilton at the Joseph Papp Theatre via Disney+List of live streaming theatre at various theatres: https://www.playbill.com/article/schedule-of-upcoming-and-current-free-live-stream-broadcasts-com-322823Watch a full performance of one of the plays on this list (Avenue Q, Rent, Into the Woods, Legally Blonde, Les Miserables, Hairspray and more!) of full length plays available on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4UvHdqgzgxyW8nqcnS5NU1FhIkL3NRyC Shakespeare
- The Tragedy of Richard II
- A Midsummer Nights Dream
Watch a full performance of a Broadway musical that is available for streaming on various paid services. A list is available here: https://www.playbill.com/article/15-broadway-plays-and-musicals-you-can-watch-on-stage-from-home Film –view a film as long as you can find a published interview with the director or screenwriter. Wait until Week 6 or later.FILM COMMENTARY BY A DIRECTOR OR CINEMA EXPERT Disney+’s The Mandolorian — excellent auteur direction and ample interviews availableWatch an entire DVD/Blue Ray film with the audio commentary special feature as long as the commentary is by or includes the director or a film historian/expert, or the actors/actresses, not just commercial film critics. Examples of a few films on DVD/Blue Ray with directors commentary:
- Get Out, commentary by Jordan Peele
- Lord of the Rings films, commentary by Peter Jackson
- Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GoodFellas, commentary by Martin Scorsese
- Pans Labyrinth, commentary by Guillermo Del Toro
- Das Boot, commentary by Stephen Spielberg
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets, commentary by Jon Turteltaub
You are highly encouraged to double check alternative options with me to make sure they will fulfill the assignment.
- Toni Morrison on The Bluest Eye and Paradise
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."