Option #1: Setting Policy on Religious Holiday Leave in Compliance with U.S. Federal Law
Religion permeates society and daily life and, for many, it requires special considerations in the workplace. In organizations with a diverse workforce, employees may identify themselves as Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or members of other religions. Increased religious diversity in the workplace has led to a doubling in the number of religious discrimination claims over the past decade. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of l964 prohibits employersin matters of hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employmentfrom discriminating against individuals because of their religion.
- For this assignment, you are to take the role of a leader in an organization. This may be an organization with which you are affiliated (as an employee, student, or volunteer, for example); or, if you do not have an affiliation with an organization, you may select a well-known company operating in the United States. Describe the organization and familiarize yourself with it so that you can write your responses based on the organization’s policies.
- Prepare a policy brief that clearly defines how the organization will accommodate requests for religious holiday leave. Read this fact sheet from the EEOC in preparation for your assignment: EEOC (2010) Facts about religious discrimination. (Links to an external site.)
- Include the following in your policy brief:
- Describe “religion” as defined by the EEOC and Title VII.
- Describe the legal requirement to accommodate requests for religious holidays, and give examples of these types of requests.
- Explain the obligations on the part of the employer and employee regarding notification of religious leave.
- Explain how the policy will be communicated to all employees.
- Articulate the specific policy language you wish to have approved by senior and executive leadership.
- Offer an explanation of how employees and leaders will communicate and resolve scheduling conflicts that may arise as a result of multiple requests for leave.
- Explain how you will communicate this policy to your employees.
- Your well-written paper should be 3-4 pages in length, not including the required title and references pages.
- Include two scholarly references (not assigned for this module) that support your policy statement. The CSU Global Library is a good place to find these sources.
Option #2: Accommodating Religious Practices in the Global Workplace
Countries have different approaches to religious practices in the workplace. In the Unites States, for example, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 expressly prohibits discrimination against applicants or employees based on their religion. Still, there might be exceptions that can favor the employer.
- Research a recent (2015 or later) case where an individual claimed religious discrimination as a basis for being fired. It is preferable if you choose a case that occurred in the country in which you currently work or plan to work.
- State the facts of the case.
- Identify any relevant laws (these may be social, traditional, or legal) utilized by the court/authority in considering or determining the outcome of the case.
- Define any applicable legal/social doctrines or customs, the provisions of the laws or customs, and elements of a specific course of action.
Then, address the following:
- Are there exceptions to the doctrines or customs named above that give employers an advantage in hiring and firing employees? Explain your answer.
- What is the responsibility of employees with regard to their religious behavior in the workplace?
- How might an employer avoid a religious discrimination lawsuit or issue? Provide three points on proactive religious policy in the workplace for the country you have chosen to study for your case.
- Your well-written paper should be 3-4 pages in length, not counting the required title and references pages
- Include two scholarly references (not assigned for this module) that support your positions. The CSU Global Library is a good place to find these sources.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."